AIMS – To provide a discussion forum with a desire to do whatever we can to help Hitchin residents retain what is good for the town and only settle for the best, particularly when developments are planned.
- to bring together people and organisations concerned for the future of Hitchin and its environment.
- to provide a forum for public discussion of ideas and problems.
- to support developments which retain Hitchin’s special character and take account of residents’ interests and wishes.
- to encourage small groups facing special problems in dealing with developments and changes in their areas.
- to work with District and County Councils, other statutory bodies and voluntary organisations in promoting the interests of Hitchin and of the people who live or work in the town.
- to campaign effectively for desirable and sustainable change in Hitchin.
- to keep local people informed about decisions being taken for Hitchin and their implications for the town and its people.
- to monitor developments by understanding and studying the planning processes which affect the town. This requires a good knowledge of the North Herts District Council operations and national planning guidelines.
HOW WE WORK
- a Steering Group of approximately 12 members, elected at the AGM, meets every 2 – 3 months to assess the Forum’s work, guide campaign strategies and plan future work.
- a Planning Group meets regularly to examine specific issues and plans. They research issues and produce information, seeking to make public the available facts about any developments.
- working groups are set up as necessary to look at specific areas of interest, such as transport, litter and footpaths . We include interested Forum members – volunteers very welcome!
- we work with member organisations and other groups to lobby on specific issues, raising matters of local concern.
- with Hitchin Initiative, Hitchin Historical Society and The Hitchin Society we have formed the Hitchin Town Action Group (HTAG), to forward our joint aims and initiatives
- public meetings about current issues in the town are held when appropriate to generate informed discussion and debate.
- members’ meetings are also held to exchange ideas about current issues and the work of the Forum.
- a Newsletter is circulated to members 5-6 times per year. Back issues can be viewed on this website.
- campaign material is sent to members as necessary.
- all members can put forward ideas and suggestions, raise issues they would like discussed by the Forum, and submit items for the Newsletter.
- we share bulletins and information produced by member organisations with all our membership.
- we strongly support Hitchin Initiative and other organizations which work for the good of the town.
The current Steering Group consists of Dave Borner (Vice Chairman), Ken Chapman (Treasurer), Mike Clarke (President), Maureen Carroll (Membership Sec), Chris Honey, John Keene, Jennifer Piggott (Newsletter Editor), Bill Sellicks (Chairman), Andrew Wearmouth
MEMBERSHIP – We welcome new members – click here for more information.
HISTORY of Hitchin Forum – a potted account of our activities since 1992 is described – just click here.